Wednesday, August 31, 2005

School Daze all over again. . .

"I'm focused, man. . . . ."

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, another semester in. Of course I'm looking forward to the end, but I'm also looking forward to experiencing what my classes have to offer. I have a heavy load this semester: Math class, some computer work, managerial accounting, and 2 classes in the Pan African Studies building, Oscar Ritchie Hall. For those not familiar, Oscar Ritchie was the first African American faculty member at my school, Kent State University. This was way back in 1947. Black United Students petitioned to name the old student union after him following his death in 1967, thus making him the first African-American to have a predominantly white public university building named in his honor.

Ok, now that the history portion is over, I'll continue.

I'm really looking forward to getting the damn math, accounting, and computer classes out of the way. I'm going to enjoy the 2 classes I have in Oscar Ritchie. It's been a few semesters since I took "black classes", so it'll be good to revisit those feelings of awareness and pride I felt as I sat in those classes.

I'm very excited about the African World Creative Writing Class. We'll be reading the poetry of Amiri Baraka, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Haki Madbhuti. In addition we're also going to write and have our work critiqued by classmates. We introduced ourselves yesterday. Everyone is a writer, whether poetry, plays, novels, or music. It's an awesome feeling to be surrounded by so much talent.

The other class is African Social/Political/Economic Systems. . .a mouthful, I know. It seems interesting. I was slightly intimidated by the fact that when I first walked in to the class, I was the only chocolate face in a sea of milky white. I swear, I thought I was in the wrong room, until I seen everyone had the book for the course. Overwhelmed, I walked out of the class to get some air, since I was fifteen minutes early. I was grateful when six other black people finally showed up in true CP fashion.

I plan on throwing myself completely into school and make the most of my final moments in college. I cant tell it'll be easy to fall behind, but I don't plan on doing so. As long as I stick to my studying schedule, I'll be good. . .Lawd, lawd please let me be in the final moments!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tira, You really have a way with words. Keep doing what your doing and those school daze will be over. Brandon