Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Dear Summer

Man oh man. . .you really did a number on me this year. And you know the scary part, Summer? You aren't anywhere near being over! It's only July, and already you've brought the pain. I mean, I'm not gonna front, Summer. You've given me some good times this year, and I see improvements from the last time we were together, but I think the madness you brought this year topped any other year. Let's look at the ills you gave me (thus far):

I lost my oldest, and favorite uncle. (RIP Sherman Harris). I find solace in the fact that he didnt die in pain, that his sons will be taken care of, and the he's no longer suffering. But it was hard to lose him, knowing that we hadn't spoken in a while.

My name was thrown in the middle of a beef between my dad and one of his friends, and as a result I have spoke to him since early May. (Fuck 'em, be a man, ya feel me, Summer?)

I ran the risk of losing my financial aid as a result of the criminal deeds of the chick who stole my identity. I mean, I went to the Justice Center and straightened everything out, but I hated having to worry and stress due to someone's misuse of my identity.

I let go of a friend who was more toxic to me than endearing. I realized I was holding on for the sake of holding on, and that we really had no ties to one another. Like Nia long told Khalil Kain in Love Jones, 'All we had was all those years. . ." I should have done it a long time ago but hey, it's been months now and I feel freed. The ill part was the way it all had to go down. The shorthand version: Pettiness, broken locks, threats, police reports. Summer, I need not go on. . .



We had our fun times, Summer. I can't argue there. I sweated like I never sweated before, I became more diligent about working out and my overall health. I became more aware of myself (which it seems like I do more often than ever). I got closer to my cousins and my sisters. Oh yea, I learned the identity of the person who stole my identity. (Some young, pitiful, thugged out female. Pray for her) The best part of my summer thus far has been June 10-13. . .please write me back Summer, and let me know that the best is yet to come.

Now Summer, I don't wanna seem ungrateful for the good times you gave me, but the ills definitely outweighed them. I know what you're gonna say, silver lining, reason for everything, karma etc, etc. And you're right. I see the point. I understand. Now, ease up a lil, ok?


I mean, damn Summer, you used to be my favorite time of year, but now I'm waiting for Fall. And you know why. . .

So, let's make a deal. . .chill out from now until September, ok? Relax on the drama you've been bringing my way, and let me see Pookie before you turn into Autumn. Oh yea, and Summer? Instead of bringing the pain, bring the rain! It's hot as hell and my grass is turning brown.


Sincerely,
Shatira

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Summer has been the summer of revelations for me...so I see how sumemr can be a turning point..but don't worry it will fly by, and the worst, I'm sure, is over....

Anonymous said...

Damn Summer but you best believe the best is yet to come. There is a season for everything and a time for change, Summer is just being its self.

Darnell