Sunday, July 24, 2005

Good Times Weekend Mumblings. . .

"Just lookin' outta the window. . ."
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I decided to chill in the house this weekend. I cleaned my room (sorta), and studied for my accounting exam. In between this, I watched my favorite old school sitcom.

48 Hour Good Times Marathon on TV Land. . .yea boy.


Day 2: Damn, I'm getting a little tired of Good Times. . .after watching all of these, I missed my favorite ones, like when JJ got shot, when he got VD, and when his prom date (Debbie Allen) was harboring a drug problem.

How come James wore the same pair of corduroys on every episode, yet Thelma dressed like she had money?
Answer: Because Bernadette Stanis refused to look poor on tv, she demanded to wear nice clothing despite the fact she was portraying a teenager living in the projects...(thanks Mom)



How awesome is the theme song? It's one of the best in sitcom history hands down. It perfect fits the show. I rank it up there with The Jeffersons, and All in the Family's songs.

Ralph Carter (Michael) grew up to be an ug-mo, the rest of the cast looks pretty much the same.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The show went downhill after James died. I've seen the episode before but I still cried.
Esther Rolle did some of her best acting when she dropped the punch bowl. . .DAMN DAMN DAMN!


Look at all the celebs that had little parts in that show. Janet Jackson, Debbie Morgan, Louis Gosset, Jr., damn, even Jay Leno.

Well you know, what can I say?

I loved Helen Martin on this show, aka Weeping Wanda. I still can't the image of her in Master P's movie out of my head. . .

How come they keep putting that orange lipstick on Florida?

How come they don't make black sitcoms like this anymore? Minus the stereotypes, where are the family values and community togetherness in TV today? I'm tired of reality tv.

Wilona was soooo fly.

Back in the day, on the low, I mighta let Jimmy Walker hit, if he was anything like his J. J. character in real life.

Yo, Is that Stymie from Little Rascals?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL@ you letting J.J. hit it...lol. That's funny, cause thelma could still get the business...but shhhhh don't tell nobody. Willona could still get it too...and we all know that Janet could have gotten it, but she let J.D. taint her so I can't touch her anymore.

I agree, this is one of the best sitcoms ever...however, it did enforce some of the stereotypes of black people back in the 70's. I don't think it's much different from some of the sitcoms now...the only show that defied ALL black stereotypes in my opinion was the Cosby show. The Jeffersons to a certain extent as well.

~Grown Man

Anonymous said...

Thelma BernNadette Stanis is a friend of mine. I asked her about the comment that she demanded certain clothes. Ms Stanis would never do such a thing. Her clothes came from the same stores as every one elses on the show. She never demanded any thing different from her castmembers. If you knew Ms.Stanis you would know she is not that type of person. She is very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Yeah youre right Thelma and Wilona were so fly. I have the entire series on DVD save the last episode which I am going to buy when I get paid next week.

Anonymous said...

I remember as I got older rumers started circulating that Ralph Carter was HIV positive? I hope thats all they are because Good Times was "one" of the "GREAT" ones. I also remembered reading a article that Thelma gave her children to her ex to be raised? That would surprise me but maybe that explains the early Diana Ross syndrome she had purtaining to her wardrobe. IF she had that much leverage I would think she would have worn sexier clothes....LOL!Tee