Saturday, September 03, 2005

Last night, I needed to go out. I had to clear my mind. I had a stressful first week of classes, and in light of Katrina, my heart was heavy. There were so many different emotions swirling around in my head. I was angry at the response of the government, especially the nonchalant attitude of our nation's CEO. "Pharoah", as Rev. Al Sharpton coined Pres. Bush, observed and commented from distances before finally taking his ass down there. I just feel like so much more could have been done more quickly. The response for the tsunami, and other tragedies seemed much more swift. My mom and my sister always tell me that I am too quick to go to the racial aspect, but I believe in calling a spade a spade. Yes, I do think that if this was some other region, some other are where there was a smaller number of minorities, and a greater number of whites, the aid would have some sooner. I guess we'll never know. God willing this doesn't happen again.

My heart was so heavy this week. Thinking about all those babies, the elderly, and in between. They were sent to a supposedly safer haven, but with no provisions. What the hell? It's like, 'y'all chill and sit in here,dont worry about water, food, etc. . ' It took too long for people to be taken care of. It's a matter of ethics, you know, like the question about the man stealing bread to feed his family.

I was angry at my people for looting items such as televisions, sneakers, and other items not necessary for survival. I mean, I understand stealing water from grocery stores, food, etc. There is no electricity or refridgeration, so most of that stuff would spoil anyway. It was embarassing to have the media portray US as they did, but you know what? A lot of that shit was unneccesary. Feed your kids, but where you gonna put that damn tv. I understand the frustration and desperation of these refugees, but raping and shooting wasn't going to ease the situation. It only made people more reluctant to give assistance.

Sigh. . .America is still the beautiful, right? Just checking.

Many celebrities are giving right now. I read that Diddy and Jay-Z gave a million, and Steve Harvey went down there. Jesse Jackson sent buses for transport, and I seen Morgan Freeman as well. That's all well and good, however I am loving the fact that everyday Americans are giving time, money, and energy to help complete strangers. Every little bit helps.

I'm staying prayerful for those people who have to start their whole lives over. I feel blessed to have the things that I have, tangible and intangible.

No comments: