Thursday, May 19, 2005

bell hooks

". . .about my people she was teachin me/by not preachin to me but speakin to me in a method that was leisurely/ so easily I approached. . ." Common, I Used To Love H.E.R.

I've been a fan of bell hook's writing since freshman year of college. She's insightful, and honest. She is an awesome revolutionary activist and poet. I've read many of her articles, and learned so much about topics that affect my everyday life. bell hooks challenges the way Ithought, and during a period in my life where I was uncertain about who I was, and where I needed to be, her words stirred something in side of me. Also, she is very humble. When asked about the lower-cased spelling of her name, which she prefers, she says it's "about ego: What's in a name? It is the substance in my books, not who is writing them, that is important." Here are two of her books that I'm adding to my soul's progression now:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Link to a bell hooks fansite:
http://www.allaboutbell.com/

1 comment:

MBT4679 said...

I had the pleasure of spending an evening with ms hooks in colllege. one of the things i loved most about school and my program was being able to meet so many respected people. i had tea with her one on one and got to talk with her about so many things. this was around the time of the love trilogy. speaking with her helped me let a lot of things go and she gave me some jewels that i reminisce over even now. i started to find her work becoming entirely too anecdotal for my taste, however. I prefer her early feminism writing.